The CRGE Facility has established partnership with various bilateral and multilateral development partners as well as specialized technical support institutions. These partnerships have significantly supported the facility in fulfilling its responsibilities. The facility aims to strengthen its existing partnership while at the same time establish new ones.
- Adaptation Fund (AF): Following its accreditation by the fund in 2016, MoFEC, through the CRGE facility, has been engaging with the AF. It has since secured USD 10 million for a climate smart integrated rural development project which has started implementation.
- Austria: The Government of Austria was the first contributor to the CRGE facility, which contributed in building confidence of other partners. The contribution of the Austria financed projects in 2 woredas as part of the Fast Track Investment projects.
- Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN): CDKN has been partnering with various institutions of the Government of Ethiopia. It has also partnered with CRGE Facility in a number of thematic issues. In particular CDKN supported CRGE Facility’s accreditation to GCF and AF. CDKN has also played a key role in the design and development of proposals for the GCF and AF.
- Denmark: The Danish government is one of the CRGE partners. It has contributed to the CRGE Facility capitalization, which has financed projects in two sectors in 6 woredas. Further, the Danish government is providing support to the capacity building activities of the facility and CRGE sectors.
- DfID UK partnership has been one of the pioneering partnerships for the facility. UK/DFID committed about $20 million to the facility, that has effectively operationalized the facility. The UK contribution financed 26 Fast Track Investment Projects covering 6 CRGE sectors, in all regions and had a considerable development and climate outcomes and outputs. DFID also supported various analytical works and seconded an adviser to the Facility.
- Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI): GGGI has been partnering with the Government of Ethiopia since 2010 and exclusively operates in the CRGE planning and implementation domain. The partnership has continued and now entered a new phase, upon the signing of the country program framework. Currently, the organization is partnering with Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation (MoFEC)/CRGE Facility, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MEFCC), Industrial Park Development Corporation and the Prime Minister’s Office. It has deployed senior sector advisors in these organizations and is undertaking a number of need based analytical works, such as CRGE Financial need analyses, MRV, and PES.
- Green Climate Fund (GCF): Following its accreditation by the fund in 2016, MoFEC, through the CRGE facility, has been engaging with the GCF. It has since secured a support for a program entitled ‘responding to the increasing risk of drought: building gender-responsive resilience of the most vulnerable communities’, valued at USD 50 million.
- Norway: CRGE partnership with the Norwegian Government mainly focuses on REDD+ readiness and implementation in Ethiopia. While various actions have been in progress in the readiness segment, a REDD+ investment plan was developed and approved. As a result, program implementation is now underway with a support of about $75 million.
- The World Bank: The World Bank has been partnering with the CRGE Facility on various thematic issues. Currently, multi-sector investment planning on climate resilience, carbon pricing study, and country environment analysis are undergoing through the World Bank partnership. Various workshops including stakeholders’ workshop on country environmental analysis and on country environmental analysis have been conducted in partnership.
- UNCT: The United Nations Country Team, under the leadership of UNDP, is partnering with GOE’s institutions to undertake landmark diagnostic study on drought resilience. International food policy research institute has been contracted to undertake the study.
- UNDP: UNDP has been a partner in the CRGE and environment areas for many years including pre-CRGE period. Currently, UNDP is partnering with MOFEC / CRGE Facility and MEFCC in support of CRGE implementation. UNDP has deployed three senior advisors to the facility and has been financing the operation of the facility. In addition, it has undertaken a number of analytical and project design initiatives. UNDP’s partnership has continued and it is currently engaged in supporting the implementation of different programs managed by the facility and in building capacity of the facility through trainings.
- UNECA: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, as a regional organization, had a limited interaction with the CRGE Facility. However, given it renewed interest in the area of green economy, it has published a number of knowledge products. Recently, the Facility and ECA has initiated a new partnership in the thematic area of the Green Economy, with long-term perspective. The partnership focus areas and scope were driven by the Ethiopian need and the comparative advantage of the UNECA.