Duties and Responsibilities of Legal Service Directorate of
Ministry of Finance and Economic-Cooperation
Prepares draft financial customs and tax laws regulations and directives that are in line with government policies and contribute to the mobilization of resources for development and investment.
2. Provides Legal advice on finance administration, customs and tax laws to different stake holders and clients.
3. Provides legal opinions and explanations on different Legal issues arising in the course of implementation of tax and financial administration laws; prepare research based draft amendments to the already existing tax and financial administration laws.
4. Prepares agreements involving cancellation or rescheduling of debt owed to multilateral or bilateral creditors or reviews agreements prepared by others.
5. Prepares different draft contracts to which the Ministry is a party, and provide Legal opinions on draft contracts prepared by other contracting parties.
6. Prepares or reviews and participate in the negotiation of loan and grant agreements which the Ministry concludes with different multilateral or bilateral institutions.
7. Prepares, reviews and negotiates double taxation avoidance agreements which the Ministry concludes with different governments.
8. Prepares explanatory notes for ratification of tax, customs and financial administration proclamations and international agreements signed by the Ministry.
9. Provides legal opinion on bilateral frame work cooperation agreements.
10. Provides legal opinion on individual project agreements based on bilateral frame- work cooperation agreements.
11. Participates through expenditure management and control programme in the endeavor to reform the country's finance administrations.
12. Translates different legal documents from Amharic to English and Vice Versa.
13. Prepares model tax and customs laws, financial laws regulations and directives, and provide other technical assistance for regional governments ..
14. Conducts study on compensation issues and submit negotiation proposals, negotiate and execute the agreement when agreement is reached.
15. Conducts study and submit recommendation on set-off claims in connection with nationalized properties and executes the decision.
16. Represents the Ministry, on litigations to which the ministry is party.